Forum

More than 900 sex o...

Notifications
Clear all

More than 900 sex offenders 'disappear from police radar' - with many changing their names and not telling officers  

RSS
grumpyowl
(@grumpyowl)
Member Admin

https://news.sky.com/story/more-than-900-sex-offenders-disappear-from-police-radar-with-many-changing-their-names-and-not-telling-officers-12036341

More than 900 sex offenders have disappeared off the police radar with many thought to have disguised their identities by changing their names and not telling officers, Sky News has discovered.

The simple deed poll process takes 15 minutes online and over 1,300 sex offenders have already done it since committing their offences and have informed authorities.

Campaigners are warning that while it is an offence for people on the sex offenders register to change their names without telling officials, that's not incentive enough for them not to do it - as it's easy to do and common practice.

A Freedom of Information (FOI) request to the 43 police forces in England and Wales found there were 1,349 sex offenders who had notified the authorities they had changed their name by deed poll, since committing their offences. (About half the forces couldn't provide data on this).

Changing their names makes it more difficult for members of the public to do an online check into a person's history.

But more worrying, the Safeguarding Alliance also asked police forces, in addition to this figure, how many sex offenders have gone missing. Only 16 police forces provided data, but it amounted to 913 offenders.

It's thought many of these have changed their names and chosen not to tell the police.

This story is close to my heart, as I know the lady featured in this article.

The system is badly failing these people, if it is so easy for offenders to just change their name. It is also an abject failure on the part of those police forces who couldn't even provide the requested data, so in truth the actual figure could be higher than the 900 quoted here.

Posted : 26/07/2020 5:51 pm
nobby-noboddy
(@nobby-noboddy)
Eminent Member
Posted by: @grumpyowl

https://news.sky.com/story/more-than-900-sex-offenders-disappear-from-police-radar-with-many-changing-their-names-and-not-telling-officers-12036341

More than 900 sex offenders have disappeared off the police radar with many thought to have disguised their identities by changing their names and not telling officers, Sky News has discovered.

The simple deed poll process takes 15 minutes online and over 1,300 sex offenders have already done it since committing their offences and have informed authorities.

Campaigners are warning that while it is an offence for people on the sex offenders register to change their names without telling officials, that's not incentive enough for them not to do it - as it's easy to do and common practice.

A Freedom of Information (FOI) request to the 43 police forces in England and Wales found there were 1,349 sex offenders who had notified the authorities they had changed their name by deed poll, since committing their offences. (About half the forces couldn't provide data on this).

Changing their names makes it more difficult for members of the public to do an online check into a person's history.

But more worrying, the Safeguarding Alliance also asked police forces, in addition to this figure, how many sex offenders have gone missing. Only 16 police forces provided data, but it amounted to 913 offenders.

It's thought many of these have changed their names and chosen not to tell the police.

This story is close to my heart, as I know the lady featured in this article.

The system is badly failing these people, if it is so easy for offenders to just change their name. It is also an abject failure on the part of those police forces who couldn't even provide the requested data, so in truth the actual figure could be higher than the 900 quoted here.

Many of them live on the rivers and canals because they can move around avoiding registration/notification. It make's my stomach turn because I've always fancied a long boat.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 26/07/2020 8:51 pm
Share: